Re: Separate Copies Contribute Separately to One's Runtime

From: Lee Corbin (lcorbin@rawbw.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 01:10:49 MST

Eliezer writes

>> Since presumably you are not informed when you've been copied, 100:1.
>> What else could it be? There are 100 ways of seeing heads and 1 of
>> seeing tails.
>
> Okay, so, after I all see the coin - in an algorithmically isomorphic
> way - merge my separated copies.

Note that this reduces your runtime back to 2, as opposed to 101,
(or 1 as opposed to 100 if we count just the heads outcome).

> Oh, look, by briefly expending a bit of extra computing power, I can
> control the outcome of coinflips - though not in a way that any
> watcher would detect.

I don't follow. Perhaps you aren't taking into account the reduction
of total Eliezer run time? At the end, there are two of you, one who
has obtained heads, and one who has obtained tails.

Lee