Re: Mindless Thought Experiments

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 19:13:17 MST

On 06/03/2008, Jeff L Jones <jeff@spoonless.net> wrote:

> > In the case of experience, believing that you have one *is* the same
> > as having one.
>

> I don't think so. You can program a computer to believe whatever
> statements you want it to believe. If you program it to believe a
> statement like "I have experience"... meaning that when you query it,
> it responds with "yes, that statement is true"... it won't necessarily
> have experience. To have experience, I think you need a lot more
> complexity than just a network of beliefs.

Perhaps the words used here could be confusing. What I meant was, if I
think I have an experience of seeing red, then I have an experience of
seeing red. You could argue that I am "mistaken" in my belief if I am
hallucinating or misidentifying green as red, but that doesn't mean
I'm not having the experience. Does a person with schizophrenia hear
voices that aren't really there or do they only *think* they hear
voices that aren't really there?

--
Stathis Papaioannou