Re: Mindless Thought Experiments

From: Krekoski Ross (rosskrekoski@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 22:29:19 MST

hmmm, lets define this a bit clearer.

When Stathis mentioned that it had no input or output, I assumed that it was
not causally interactive with anything.

If it has causal interaction, then I take back the statement that its not a
useful question.

However we still have to deal with Heisenberg. By tinkering with or
observing its insides are we disturbing the natural flow of its simulation
of an apple? Are we disturbing it, in fact, in the exact same way as
observing a 'real' apple would disturb an apple? If by observing its
internal processes we cause different consequences for the simulated apple
than we would with the real apple, I wonder if it can still be said to be
simulating an apple.

This is not a trivial point I think.

Rgds,

Ross