Re: OpenCog Concerns

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 15:27:21 MST

On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:24 PM, Matt Mahoney wrote:

> You cannot ignore that there is a US $66 trillion per year incentive
> (the
> value of all human labor worldwide) to develop distributed AI. I
> have seen
> many proposals to build prototype friendly AI on a desert island, or
> otherwise
> isolated or tightly controlled by its developers. I hope you can
> see how
> impractical these approaches are. You can't compete with the
> computing power,
> knowledge base, and user base already available on the internet.

That sounds like a challenge.

Seriously, though, it's not enough to have the Internet. You need
effective coordination and motivation of the right people to
contribute. It's easy to forget that successful Internet projects are
far outnumbered by unsuccessful ones. All the computing power,
knowledge base, and user base means nothing if you are unable to
direct it in a meaningful way. Given the history of AI, I'm inclined
to suspect that it's not enough to throw resources at the project,
perhaps because we're not even sure what resources we need.

                Gordon Worley
e-mail: redbird@mac.com PGP: 0xBBD3B003
   Web: http://homepage.mac.com/redbird/