Re: Mindless Thought Experiments

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 14:08:22 MST

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM, John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Who or what is asking this question and who or what is expected to
> provide an answer?

My brain generated the question, sent signals that changed the
environment (posting it on the list), and expects to perceive an
answer later (which is generated by environment containing John K
Clark, at least it's a model that is used on this occasion). It also
observed the fact that it did so, and formed beliefs about this fact,
so that 'I' now is able to add that 'I' know that 'I' did that.

Subjective/objective divide might be useful, but only as indication of
the fact that subjective experience of one person is usually difficult
for another person to observe. But it's also full of holes. If I flip
a coin without anyone seeing, is my perception of its top side
subjective? How is it different from most of my brain observing the
output of given tiny part of my brain that performed a given bit of
inference? From any part of my brain interacting with the rest of my
brain? And that is full-blown 'subjective experience', forming
memories of reflection.

--
Vladimir Nesov
robotact@gmail.com