Re: Mindless Thought Experiments

From: Krekoski Ross (rosskrekoski@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 14:11:49 MST

I dispute the can opener argument. You make the assumption that all of the
'signal' is contained inside the packaging, i.e. that all meaning of the
email is external to the email itself, and dependant upon cultural context.
But an extreme construal of that position implies that there is no objective
meaning, and that a completely random string of letters, or, non-trivially,
a string of 10,000 identical characters could, in some language express the
same thing. This is an extreme position, and most serious logicians, even on
the extreme externalist end of the spectrum would concede that a signal has
an internal logic. The position is somewhat akin to saying that if I create
a sequence such as:

that an alien intelligence could not possibly interpret it as a fibonacci
sequence, since of course, all the meaning is contextually dependant.

Rgds,

Ross