Re: Investing in FAI research: now vs. later

From: Robin Hanson (rhanson@gmu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 14:52:58 MST

At 04:25 PM 2/20/2008, you wrote:
>Robin Hanson wrote:
>>At 02:07 PM 2/20/2008, Peter McCluskey wrote:
>>>There appears to be a serious lack of communication between
>>>people who think we're doomed without FAI and the people who
>>>expect a diverse society of AIs. It appears that the leading
>>>advocates of one outcome can't imagine how anyone could believe
>>>the other outcome is possible. This appears to be a symptom of a
>>>serious failure of rationality somewhere. I wish I could lock the
>>>leaders of each side of this schism into a room and not let them
>>>out until they either reached agreement or came up with a clear
>>>explanation of why they disagreed. Presumably part of the
>>>disagreement is over the speed at which AI will take off, but
>>>that can't explain the certainty with which each side appears to
>>>dismiss the other.
>>I volunteer to enter the room. Who will join me?
>
>Robin and I obviously should try this at some point, but surely, it
>should be plausible by *now* that I have a legitimate reason to want
>to write even more Overcoming Bias posts before I try to go there?

It is obvious that you have a plan and that you are executing it, and
I am happy to believe you if you say putting off such a discussion
would best fit with your plan. :)

Robin Hanson rhanson@gmu.edu <http://hanson.gmu.edu>http://hanson.gmu.edu
Research Associate, Future of Humanity Institute at Oxford University
Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326 FAX: 703-993-2323