Re: Investing in FAI research: now vs. later.

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 01:16:44 MST

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:51:20PM -0800, John K Clark wrote:
> The only safe genie is no genie at all, it's obvious, it just
> astounds me that otherwise intelligent people think this is a
> point worthy of debate. They actually think they can enslave a
> mind astronomically more powerful than their own for eternity. I
> fully admit I just don't get it, I don't understand what the hell
> they are thinking.

You refuse to understand the difference between "morality" and
"enslavement". Humans, in general, don't go around randomly killing
babies for fun (or whatever) and, more importantly, the *vast*
majority of humans *do not want* to become someone who would do so.
They do not consider this "enslavement", nor should they. This is
the property we're talking about; clearly minds with this property
are possible.

Unless you, yourself, feel enslaved by your morality, in which case
your total inability to see the point makes a lot of sense.

-Robin

--
Lojban Reason #17: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/