Re: Evidence that the universe is simulated

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2008 - 19:17:24 MST

--- Vladimir Nesov <robotact@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2008 9:09 PM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > They could know if their thought process was based on mathematical proof,
> > unlike the way we think.
> >

> I has nothing to do with how we think. Rules can be changed externally
> irrespective of what rules prior to change were. OK, I repeated it
> several times already, so I give up.

I am having the same frustration. I am trying to describe universes that
could not arise from an enumeration of Turing machines (such as ours). One
possibility is a universe that allows more powerful machines, such as
computers or intelligences with real-valued registers or real-valued address
spaces. In some of these universes, it would be possible for an intelligence
to model its environment exactly. There would be no reason for these
intelligences to think in terms of probability.

The fact that we don't think this way, or can even imagine thinking this way,
is evidence that we don't live in one of these universes.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com