Re: Evidence that the universe is simulated

From: Larry (entropy@farviolet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2008 - 09:24:42 MST

While you can't prove a negative, the universe certainly could be a
simulation, I'd say the following:

The universe behaves like a finite state machine because it has state and
its finite. The fun thing about finite state machines, there are certain
rules that hold irregardless of the program being executed. The simple
fact that your operating on a finite number of bits in progress time
slices by itself ends up implying quite a bit. For example unless bits
are added (from where?), the universal state machine will eventually
repeat in 2^N steps or less where N is the number of bits the universe
holds.

I tend to think what we see as randomness and probability in quantum
mechanics is due to the fact that we cannot possible know the
entanglements a particle has. The universe at the lowest
level is deterministic, but only on the scale of the entire universe.
Any given quantum system is coupled to the outside world in ways we
cannot know due to its history, and thus appears random. A thought
experiment to prove that entanglement leads to uncertainty.

A and B independantly measure the spin directions of electrons of
unknown history. This means that A & Bs electrons (call them Ae & Be) may
be entangled in any possible way. It may be that Ae spin up implies Be
spin down, or it may be that Ae spin up implies Be spin up, or any other
possible entanglement. Observer A measures spin up, and because the
entanglement history is unknown and cannot be known, B cannot possibly
know in advance what the spin of direction of Be is. Unknown entanglement
histories force local non-determinism, however interestingly they do not
force global non-determinism.

The philosophical implications of a deterministic universe are
interesting. It might well be a fractal being executed which contains
essentially no information at all other than pseudo-random results.