Re: When something impossible happens

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 18:23:36 MST

On Jan 23, 2008 1:52 AM, Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:44:55AM +0300, Vladimir Nesov wrote:
> >
> > Robin, it's not just issue of morality, you also need to _know_
> > what effect decision to implement this simulation has on
> > subjective experience of people inside this simulation and what
> > exactly it means to have an effect on their subjective experience.
> > Maybe this effect is for all intents and purposes doesn't exist,
> > and you'd do injustice punishing for exerting it.
>
> Huh?

Example that I think is fallacious, but is simplest to communicate the
nature of problem here. Say, there are already gozillion evil
simulations like this, and you create another one. How much evil have
you done? If one is a denizen of that evil world, he doesn't know
which simulation he lives in, and for him subjectively nothing changes
in you construct another one. If you care about him suffering more or
less, and additional simulation doesn't change anything from his
subjective point of view, this additional simulation does no evil.

If you release a file on the Internet, and it gets copied on 1000
computers, does a destruction of one of these computers destroy the
file?

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:robotact@gmail.com