Re: When something impossible happens

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 15:44:55 MST

On Jan 23, 2008 1:16 AM, Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 04:59:08PM -0500, Randall Randall wrote:
> > The idea that in a future civilization something done entirely
> > with private computing could be disallowed implies a crippling
> > lack freedom for individuals in said civilization.
>
> Yep. Not seeing a problem here. Certainly if I lived in a
> civilization without such rules and I found you were doing such
> things with your private computing, I'd hunt you down and kill you,
> regardless of the consequences to myself. It's a clear cut issue of
> basic morality to me.

Robin, it's not just issue of morality, you also need to _know_ what
effect decision to implement this simulation has on subjective
experience of people inside this simulation and what exactly it means
to have an effect on their subjective experience. Maybe this effect is
for all intents and purposes doesn't exist, and you'd do injustice
punishing for exerting it.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:robotact@gmail.com