Re: How to make a slave (was: Building a friendly AI)

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2007 - 23:24:54 MST

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 "Thomas McCabe"

> If you tried to use anthropomorphic reasoning
> about a 747, or a toaster, or a video game,
> you'd be laughed at.

Of course it would be ridiculous to use anthropomorphic reasoning to
understand how a toaster works, but not if you used it to understand
another mind; it is after all the only tool we have for doing such a
thing, that’s why it evolved. At any rate if you want to insult me
you’re going to have to find something new to call me because I don’t
find it insulting to be called a believer in anthropomorphism, just a
bit repetitive.

> Probabilities of zero will give you nonsense
> in Bayesian probability theory.

Then to hell with Bayesian probability theory, the probability that 2
and 2 will turn out to be 5 is zero.

> This does not mean it is an invalid term

The term AGI is used by members of this list and almost nobody else, if
you don’t believe me do a Google search for AGI and see what you get.
This is a classic example of inventing new jargon to make tired and
rather silly ideas sound revolutionary.

> Please, please, please *read the bleepin' literature*

You mean read the “literature” about AGI that no working scientist is
the slightest bit interested in?

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark