Re: General summary of FAI theory

From: Rolf Nelson (rolf.h.d.nelson@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 18:37:32 MST

On Nov 20, 2007 11:50 PM, Daniel Burfoot <daniel.burfoot@gmail.com> wrote:

> This list isn't for political debate, but I think everyone will agree
> that there is not even a popsicle barricade standing between us and
> AI-aided government tyranny.

I don't agree in the case of any of the consolidated democracies, but as you
said, this list isn't for political debate.

> The question I'm seriously asking myself now is: should AI research be
> put on hold until more political safeguards can be put in place?

If I granted your premise, and thought I lived in a country where the
government is fundamentally tyrannical, then I would agree that it would be
immoral to personally conduct AI research that the government would be
likely to seize for evil purposes, just as it would be immoral to conduct
nuclear weapons research if you lived in Nazi Germany.

Unfortunately, if you judge the situation wrong, then you can doom humanity.
For example, you could fail to help a Friendly AI come about because you
wrongly mistrusted your fellow citizens, based on their having different
("wrong") political views than you.

-Rolf