Re: How to make a slave (was: Building a friendly AI)

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 02:37:59 MST

On 21/11/2007, John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Can you conceive of any circumstance where in the future you find that
> your only goal in life is the betterment of one particularly ugly and
> particularly slow reacting sea slug?

Yes: if my brain were altered so that that is what I wanted to do. I
would spend all my resources finding better ways to help the slug,
including any self-modification that would make me a better helper. I
might stop for a moment and reflect that this is ultimately an absurd
exercise, but if you think about it, everything is ultimately absurd,
and yet people still get on with their lives.

--
Stathis Papaioannou