Re: [agi] What best evidence for fast AI?

From: Benjamin Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2007 - 15:25:43 MST

On Nov 11, 2007 3:22 PM, Joshua Fox <joshua@joshuafox.com> wrote:

> > OK then, what are the arguments suggesting a single insight has a good
> chance to
> > make this much difference?
>
> I don't know about a single insight, but I'd venture that a solid theory
> of intelligence is the major obstacle between us and AGI.

Check out "The Hidden Pattern" (Goertzel, Ben, BrownWalker Press, 2006). I
believe the ideas therein comprise a comprehensive and coherent theory of
intelligence suitable for guiding AGI development. However, that theory is
certainly not "solid" in the sense of being empirically proven at this stage
-- brain science is not up to the level where one can prove overarching
theories of cognition true or false; and the proof in terms of AGI is what
I'm working on, but it's a long or at least medium term project...

-- Ben