Re: answers I'd like from an SI

From: Jeff L Jones (jeff@spoonless.net)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2007 - 17:43:02 MST

On Nov 10, 2007 6:26 AM, Wei Dai <weidai@weidai.com> wrote:
> Why am I me, and not one of the billions of other people on Earth, or one of
> the many people in other parts of the multiverse?

I think all of the other questions are interesting, but isn't this one
tautological? "Why am I me?" By definition, "I" and "me" refer to
the same person. How could they refer to two different people? If
you can't imagine it being otherwise, then there isn't anything to be
surprised about. I don't think any AI, no matter how smart, will
answer this question for you, other than to say that it isn't really a
question. Also, remember that everyone else in the multiverse who has
ever existed may be wondering the same thing (why are they not
you?)... at least, those who don't realize it's not a well-posed
question.

Jeff