Re: Ethical experimentation on AIs

From: Aleksei Riikonen (aleksei@iki.fi)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2007 - 12:49:55 MDT

On 10/20/07, Harry Chesley <chesley@acm.org> wrote:
> The question: Are we ethically in the clear to experiment on AIs under
> the assumption that we won't accidentally create AIs that feel pain or
> fear death?

For some possible AI designs that would seem to be the case. It would
be nice if advanced AI was developed via those design pathways.

Unfortunately there seems to be a rather large probability that
advanced AI will first be developed via other sorts of design
pathways, like more or less copying how the human brain works. Most
people interested in creating advanced AI are ordinary humans in the
sense that they won't care about ethics very much.

(Even when experimenting with the replication of the functioning of
the human brain, it should be possible to minimize the risk of
tormented AIs, at least in many cases, but minimizing such risks would
not be considered important by everyone.)

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei