Re: Kolmogorov complexity and prediction

From: Bryan Bishop (kanzure@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2007 - 16:20:49 MDT

On Thursday 18 October 2007 11:30, Nick Hay wrote:
> So systems of fixed complexity can both understand, and build
> understandable, systems of greater complexity than themselves.

Interesting implications. How would this be applied to say, the
universe? The universe is a complex system, and I always thought that
no system could completely understand itself without violating some
gödeleans (incompleteness or inconsistency).

When you first said "bridge," in a previous email, I thought you meant a
sort of theoretics-bridge to take a program of some complexity and then
have it breach past some finite complexity-production limit. Apparently
not. :)

It is also important to point out that no system can generate infinitely
more complex systems, implying that even if the universe is infinite
(do we argue this here? I hope not), that the accessibility of such
vastness is limited to our finite programs/designs/specifications.

- Bryan