Re: Is SETI dangerous?

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@mail.ru)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 13:15:20 MDT

On 9/26/07, Aleksei Riikonen <aleksei@iki.fi> wrote:

> The post-AGI civilization very well might have a value system such
> that it doesn't wish to kill living things (or even upload them
> without telling them, though that might be ok with me personally),
> when it costs so very little -- relatively speaking -- to leave them
> alive, and only harvest the non-living matter found elsewhere.

It doesn't cost little: any intelligent entity must be controlled, otherwise
there's a risk of runaway replication. And physical world doesn't seem to
provide a way to control material entity safely that is not essentially
equivalent to uploading it to a limited substrate.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:robotact@gmail.com