Re: Scenario for early hard takeoff

From: David Orban (david@davidorban.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 20:32:52 MDT

On 9/3/07, Mike Dougherty <msd001@gmail.com> wrote:
> would people be willing to host this distributed computing grid if
> participation was the only requisite for being able to ask it for
> information? What if the local agent were able to ask the users for
> information in order to fulfill requests for other others? Is this a
> manageable strategy, or is it really just chaos?

Google denies that they are building an AI, which I don't believe.
They have been observing a constant increase in the number of terms
comprising the queries, and with the results getting better as well,
what you have is basically a human computer dialog.

If you sum to this all the parts of the Google grid that do actually
reside on the local machine, such as Google Desktop, Google Pack,
Google Web Accelerator, Google Offline Reader, etc. with also the
personalized results that are a consequence of your search history,
then you do have millions of volunteers that are doing exactly what
you say. Since the PageRank algorithm's value is a consequence of
human linking, active participation is also a must (not on an
individual level but as a group).

It is definitely a manageable strategy, as Google showed us.
I would not be surprised if part of Powerset's tools would be based on
something similar as well.

--------
David Orban
www.davidorban.com