Re: [ExI] Seeking a source

From: Natasha Vita-More (natasha@natasha.cc)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2007 - 04:28:45 MDT

At 10:53 PM 8/26/2007, Eli wrote:
>Heard from a friend: "I recall a comment from D-Wave Systems that a
>1974 era computer running 2007 algorithms would beat a modern computer
>running 1974 algorithms." Topic was decryption / factorization.
>
>I am looking for the original source of the D-Wave comment, or any
>reputable source for a statement similar to it (computer from year X
>with new algorithm Y beats new computer from year Y with old algorithm
>from X).

Mark Miller might be able to answer this. http://www.caplet.com/

Natasha

>--
>Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://intelligence.org/
>Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence
>8/25/2007 5:00 PM

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha<http://www.natasha.cc/> Vita-More
PhD Candidate, <http://www.planetary-collegium.net/about/>Planetary
<http://www.planetary-collegium.net/about/>Collegium
Situated in the Faculty of Technology, School of Computing,
Communications and Electronics,
University of Plymouth, England
<http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
<http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller