Re: Simulation argument in the NY Times

From: Norman Noman (overturnedchair@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2007 - 21:42:21 MDT

> Evolution is not intelligent? How do you define intelligence? Evolution
> created humans out of a mix of simple chemicals. I would say that is
> pretty
> smart.

Intelligence is a property of mind that encompasses many related abilities,
such as the capacities to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly,
comprehend ideas and language, and learn. Evolution does none of these
things, it's just a very simple optimization process that emerges in systems
with mutating replicators.

Suppose you wanted to exterminate all life on earth. Who do you think would
> win, you or evolution?

Suppose you wanted to brew an anti-gravity potion. Who do you think would
win, you or gravity? I guess that makes gravity intelligent.