Re: Nonsingularitarian America and us

From: Tom McCabe (rocketjet314@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2007 - 11:17:52 MDT

--- Dagon Gmail <dagonweb@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It very much depends on the country. The
> Netherlands has about as
> > many muslims as the US as a percentage of the
> population. For
> > countries like France, it is quite a bit more than
> the US.
> >
> > On the other hand, in the US the Islamic community
> is not prone to
> > acts religious murder (see: Theo Van Gogh in the
> Netherlands) nor
> > religious riots and violence (see: newspaper
> editorial cartoon in
> > Denmark) nor prone to large-scale fermentation of
> Islamic malcontents
> > (see: France). Hell, even the 9/11 disaster
> required importing
> > Islamic malcontents from the far side of the
> Atlantic. All the US
> > really has that is similar is fringe Christians,
> and those
> > individuals are rarely prone to newsworthy
> violence in practice.
>
> Ludicrous. One very vocal commentator gets killed in
> several years. In the
> same years about twenty times as many people are
> killed my lightning
> strikes. This is a complete non-issue, despite the
> detail I wrote with Theo
> before his death. In the same five years the number
> of people shot in
> maffia style executions in the netherlands alone is
> probably more than
> 100, including innocent bystanders. Yet where is the
> media concern
> about that?
>
> Might be the same old panic mongering or xenophobia.
>
> http://www.alternet.org/story/57001
>
> And regarding those fringe Christians, those types
> are known widely for
> assassinations in and bombings of abortion clinics.
> Sometimes they even
> make mistakes and bomb clinics with no abortion in
> sight, and afterwards
> they say oops in court. However those are not
> regarded as terrorists,
> despite in some cases loudly calling for another
> 911, to "make people
> come to their senses", or "to bring closer
> armageddon".

I don't see what the heck this has to do with the
Singularity.

> > What does robotics have to do with the
> Singularity? Nothing that I
> > can see. The Singularity will almost certainly
> start in the US, on
> > the simple basis that it has an immense,
> established, and relatively
> > efficient infrastructure for doing this kind of
> research and
> > development that no other entity can currently
> compete with. This is
> > a matter of simple odds.
>
> The singularity is based on robotics.

No, it is not. Please read
http://www.intelligence.org/overview/whatisthesingularity
and http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/steven/?p=42.

> Robotics in
> Japan is based on providing
> care for the elderly, or as replacement/assistive
> construction workers.
> Last time I checked robotics required AI and AI was
> well, the prime
> requirement for a singularity occurring. I see a lot
> of articles on productive
> robotics/AI research.

The "AI" that most people talk about is as different
from Singularity-causing AI as an amoeba is from you.

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Senior_US_official_likens_challenges_facing_0814.html

> Tell me, do you watch Fox?

Contemporary politics is not SL4.

 - Tom