Re: Continuing Evolution in Humans (was: A very surreal day)

From: Diego Navarro (the.electric.me@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 13:18:29 MDT

> Unfortunately, I don't think there's a huge amount of progress possible through psychotropics.

Well, I wasn´t really thinking of ultrashort term uppers and downers.

Psychotropics have had a rate of progress since Prozac came up that's
unparallelled even by computers, IMHO. An entire field of consumer
psychiatry has come up. Before Prozac, psychiatry was basically a
repressive force making up categories for those who didn't fit. Now
it's a consumer market and they're getting better and better at fixing
a large category of "design errors". Psychiatric drugs can actually
stimulate neuron growth.