Re: Does the market pass the Turing Test?

From: Byrne Hobart (sometimesfunnyalwaysright@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 14:04:57 MDT

> What is the point of using the name "Turing test" for a specialized domain
> test? Computers pass the Turing test of multiplication, but that doesn't
> tell us much of its intelligence.

Good point. I imagine there are a few points between the Turing test and the
'Chinese room', and that the market is somewhere between them. The
interesting thing is that the market is gradually expanding its scope --
fifty years ago, I don't think anyone would have thought that the market
would estimate future temperature variations, but thanks to weather
derivatives, it does. Assuming information-gathering keeps getting cheaper
(as it has been), and liquidity keeps growing, I could imagine the market
being the closest thing we have to an AI for a long time.