ESSAY: Why care about artificial intelligence?

From: Kaj Sotala (xuenay@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 16:31:20 MDT

For a while now, I've thought that there isn't any <i>really</i> good,
persuasive introductory text about the Singularity and artificial
intelligence. Having frequently heard the old adage of "if you don't
like it, try doing it better yourself", I decided to give it a shot
and finally got together something which I feel is good enough to show
to people. I'm not sure if I really achieved my goal, but it's good
enough for now.

Covers the potential of AI, explains why AI can do everything humans
can, goes through some crucial human disadvantages in both the
software and hardware departments, compares the resources available
for the first <i>Homo Sapiens</i> and for the first AIs, briefly
mentions the issue of takeoff speed, explains why Friendly AI is
possible, explains what makes Friendly AI tricky, talks about Coherent
Extrapolated Volition, stresses the need to do something now, and
pimps Eliezer's AI Risk a lot. Should be good for something.

You can find it at http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tspro1/whycare.html . Any
constructive feedback is much appreciated.

--
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tspro1/ | http://xuenay.livejournal.com/
Organizations worth your time: