Re: Anders Sandberg in Second Life on converging cognitive enhancement, uvvy island in SL, May 23 2007 10am PST

From: Benjamin Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 21:22:51 MDT

> My analogy is lost, but Second Life still sucks.

SL has plusses and minuses. It's still early-stage technology.

I view it as imperfect but promising...

There have for years been
> more accessible and efficient methods for an online seminar.

Yeah, sure ... but not with identical psychosocial properties....

SL certainly promotes a different sort of interaction than a
videoconference,
for instance...

> It's a shame
> that being marginally shinier and having a lot of users who build stupid
> crap should cement its pervasive application.

It's not the shininess that makes it interesting for seminars and such, it's
the
particular patterns of social interaction that
the simulated embodiment brings. Many of which are idiotic and irritating
but not all of them...

I don't use SL often by the way. But I do consider it a fascinating and
worthwhile experiment, and I'm glad it exists.

-- Ben G