Re: JOIN, META: Modularity and mehtodology

From: Joshua Fox (joshua@joshuafox.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2007 - 09:55:23 MST

Mohsen,

I've actually been wondering this recently.

Human intelligence is built up on top of modules that are evolutionarily
older (and are found in non-human animals).

Contemporary serious AGI efforts (in my layperson's understanding ) are
indeed modular and layered, but they do not attempt to reproduce the full
functionality of the modules on the level of, e.g., a dog or chimp brain
before going for a (super)human mind, and I wonder why not.

The last step, the non-existent "magic dust of intelligence", would then be
a model linking up these modules.

Joshua