Re: the end of fermi's paradox?

From: John K Clark (jonkc@att.net)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 22:29:11 MST

"Philip Goetz" <philgoetz@gmail.com>

> the problem is that usable energy is the difference between something's
> energy, and the background energy. [.] So ET needs to let heat radiate
> away from the star.

Yes, and the surface of stars are at thousands of degrees Kelvin and empty
space is a 3 degrees Kelvin; plenty of room for an efficient heat engine.

> If the Dyson sphere doesn't radiate energy as
rapidly as the sun inside it does, it will build up heat

Yes, and a steam locomotive radiates exactly as much energy as the firebox
produces, the same amount of energy but at a lower temperature, the greater
the difference in that temperature the greater the efficiency. There is
simply no alternative if you want to extract work out of the process.

> "yes". The night sky looks pretty much as I would predict it would,
> knowing ET existed.

It sure as hell isn't what I'd predict; in fact I would say it's IMPOSABLE
for the Galaxy to exist as it is if ET also exists. No sun should emit
visible light, or ultraviolet, or X ray or gamma rays; suns should only emit
microwaves and maybe a little far infrared. Dyson even recommended that
Astronomers look for microwave stars, but of course they never found one,
much less a Galaxy composed of nothing but them.

   John K Clark