Re: the end of fermi's paradox?

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 09:37:44 MST

On 1/5/07, Larry <entropy@farviolet.com> wrote:

> Interestingly some useful problems can be stated in a fashion that doesn't
> require discarding of bits, and theoritically can harness this should
> we manage to build decent quantum computers.

Say you have a computer with n bits, and they all have some value.
You want to compute a result of m < n bits.
We know this value isn't present in the n bits at the start (because
otherwise you wouldn't need to compute it).
It must be present in the n bits at the end of computation.
How can you put those m bits into the set of n bits without erasing m of them?