Re: Article: Thalamic brain stimulation boosts rat intelligence

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 09:25:11 MST

On 10/24/06, Neil H. <neuronexmachina@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's really too bad that thalamus isn't accessible to TMS...
>
> (I can't seem to find the PNAS reference, so here's the ScienceNOW news article)

Prasad Shirvalkar, Malika Seth, Nicholas D. Schiff, and Daniel G. Herrera
Cognitive enhancement with central thalamic electrical stimulation
PNAS published October 25, 2006, 10.1073/pnas.0604811103

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/0604811103v1.pdf

TMS not necessary. From skimming, it appears the effects are
associated with gene expression changes.