Re: Singularitarian Social Skills

From: Charles D Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 16:42:27 MDT

Ben Rogers wrote:
> >Having social problems? Change the company you keep, you'll find it alot
> >more fun to "fit in" amongst eccentrics, than to work hard to fit in
> poorly
> >amongst "normals".
>
> For real. I find the whole idea of this article ludicrous. It sounds
> like a guide for making friends with the popular kids in high school.
> Who cares! Unless you're at a job interview or running for city
> council, be your nerdy self.
>
> [ b en ]
It's actually even worse than that. You *can't* be successful on their
terms. It takes years of practice, and you MUST enjoy the practice, or
you become moody, and generally considered a wet blanket.

OTOH, disparaging what someone else considers important is not a way to
make them your friend. Look for shared interests. You must have SOME
shared interests. It you don't, then you're trying to make friends with
the wrong individual. (N.B.: Individual. Not social group, but a
particular member of some specific social group. Everyone has some
people they can't get along with.)

If someone makes a religion of football, and you consider it a waste of
time, then that's not the right person for you to form a connection
with...unless they have more than one consuming interest...and you share
the other one.