Re: On pretending to be Wise

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 01:29:14 MDT

On 8/31/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:

> It disturbs me that people who do not strike me as obviously stupid,
> cannot tell the difference between myself and Loosemore. Has Loosemore
> given you the hundredth part of the substance which I have given you, by
> which to judge us and our theories? Are people *that* susceptible to a
> line of plausible patter about Complex Systems?

Of course I can tell the difference between you. He has said little that is
either true or false. You have said much that is true and much that is
false. That's why my words to you have been strongly "you've had some good
ideas, but for God's sake get out of the rut you're in!" and my words to him
have been "okay, well let's see what you've got."

(And no, if you're wondering, I don't take talk about "complex systems" any
more seriously than I take talk about "it's going to rain tomorrow".)

I should never have told you about the sophisticated arguer effect; it
> transformed you into a sophisticated arguer.

*coughs, wondering how to put this at least semi-tactfully, gives up*...
...I was accusing people of spinning words against themselves probably about
the time when you were figuring out "The cat sat on the mat". Granted I
don't think I knew the phrase "Intelligence+Charisma roll" back then, that
would have been around the late 80s, maybe 90, you'd probably graduated to
'PRINT "HELLO WORLD"' at that stage? ;)

(Sorry, you know I don't normally do that, but really, some kicks just beg
to be countered rather than merely blocked :))