Re: Conscious of the parts

From: Tennessee Leeuwenburg (tennessee@tennessee.id.au)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 21:03:03 MDT

It's a confusing term. It's used in computer science technically, and
will mean something in concrete terms with respect to the API you are
using etc. Then there is a theoretical model which is also part of the
meaning.

Often, a goal will be a set of conditions are to be satisfied. Anything
will do -- you can have a goal for "knowing the truth", "eating candy"
or "finding *.py".

I don't know if a "goal" has a psychological or philosophical definition
beyond "something you want to do".

It's just a term to help explain motivation.

Some goals are ends in themselves, and some are (I've forgotten the word
-- they derive their utility from other goals, i.e. eating not to be
hungry).

So, what kind of goal do you want to know more about?

Cheers,
-T