Buh-bye

From: Mark Waser (MWaser@cox.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 17:55:55 MDT

> The single worst sin on John Baez's Crackpot Index: "50 points
> for claiming you have a revolutionary theory but giving no concrete
> testable predictions." Also, "20 points for talking about how great
> your theory is, but never actually explaining it"

Funny. I had absolutely no problem getting details and a highly rational workplan from Richard a while back by asking nicely. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that every time he tried to get started, you successfully suckered him into derailing onto trivialities.

His ideas had a lot of the flavor of Hofstadter and were isomorphic with a number of the higher level details of Novamente (which I don't think he's seen) with a re-framing that suggested solutions to a number of what I perceive to be Novamente's shortcomings (though, I suspect that this is going over your head since you've also never had the courtesy to really get into Novamente either, despite debating it all the time). His workplan is certainly an approach that I haven't seen in the literature. His biggest shortcoming is that he feels that he needs to defend his dismissal of the current approaches before proposing his approach and that's how you suckered him in.

> Your butt is banninated from SL4.

And so, in my opinion, burns the last shreds of credibility for Eliezer, this mailing list, and the Singularity Institute -- in the fires of Eliezer's emotions. I'll be hanging out over at the AGIRI mailing list (http://www.agiri.org/email/ to sign up). You Singularity Institute folk will also notice that one of your regular anonymous donors is about to disappear (maybe you should consider reining in the public behavior of your chief spokesman).

I've previously had issues with the ruthless suppression of ideas contrary to the edicts of The Great Eliezer (including any argument that Friendliness isn't so difficult that it is beyond the comprehension of, much less solution by, anyone less than The Great Eliezer) but now you've made it quite clear that no one (who might be a threat) who doesn't bow down to your edicts (or, at least, pay careful homage to your greatness) will be tolerated.

Eliezer, maybe you should take a hint when
  1.. the (almost only but certainly) most noteworthy AGI researcher (i.e. Ben Goertzel) indicates clearly that you're going too far,
  2.. *numerous* other people also gently speak up,
  3.. NO ONE except a couple of your Singularity Institute syncophants seem to be willing to support you, and
  4.. even your List Snipers won't touch it.
I'ma outa here . . . .

I'd consider returning and resuming my support if Richard is re-instated and treated kindly but until then . . . .

    Good luck to all,

        Mark