Re: The Conjunction Fallacy Fallacy [WAS Re: Anti-singularity spam.]

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (
Date: Sun Aug 27 2006 - 22:11:16 MDT

Jeff Medina wrote:
> As someone else who has read a good bit of h&b literature, it really
> is ridiculous how Richard, and now you, are reacting. Richard's
> alternative proposal demonstrates ignorance of *basics* in a field
> he's claiming competency in. The only thing further that Eliezer
> might do in support of his point is provide direct references to
> feminist bank teller articles... but, knowing that he's right on this
> matter, I wouldn't really fault him for not going out of his way to do
> Richard's research for him. But it would potentially clear up the
> (very odd, because so basic, IMO) dispute regarding the feminist bank
> teller and h&b.

If you think that'd be a good idea, Jeff...

This turned up as the second Google hit for feminist "bank teller"
"mental models". The paper turned out to only contain the phrase
"mental models" in a bibliographic reference, but it did happen to
summarize many of the results that refuted various attempts to cast
doubt on the conjunction fallacy.