Re: This is the third time this has happened [WAS Re: Manhattan, Apollo and AI to the Singularity]

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2006 - 20:06:07 MDT

Eliezer,

The amazing and terrible thing is that your knowledge of cognitive
psychology appears to be so shallow that you STILL have no idea that
your original outburst (in http://sl4.org/archive/0605/14749.html) had
nothing whatever to do with the argument that I presented.

You cannot misinterpret someone else's argument (by garbling their
words, or by only reading the first few sentences of their argument),
and then call that person a fool who knows nothing nothing of the entire
field. Especially when that person starts to demonstrate greater depth
of knowledge than you, by quoting more sources and laying out detailed,
coherent arguments that you ignore. At least, you cannot do this and
expect to be taken seriously.

Until you get that point, everything you say is justmore ranting - and
the longer you go on avoiding the actual argument that I presented (you
haven't talked about it or shown any sign that you understand it, not
once in all these messages), the more you will dig yourself deeper and
deeper into a hole, and destroy your own credibility.

Here *I* am, the one who has gone to so much trouble on this list to
advance arguments and explain myself in great detail, and to address
counterarguments (whenever they have actual content) with as much care
as I can.

And there *you* are: your collected responses to my arguments are
filled with ad hominem abuse, content-free sarcasm and attacks based on
distortions of what I said. You make sweeping, unsupported allegations
about the general character and quality of what I have to say, but you
never get down to it and discuss any issues that are relevant to the
actual arguments I present.

Richard Loosemore