Re: [Bulk] Re: Objective morality?

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2006 - 11:31:25 MDT

Both memetic and genetic natural selection are inextricably interrelated.
The homo-sapien cognitive architecture substrate results from the genetic
natural selection of all human ancestry. This architecture defined the
original social organization (mortality) of our primate forbears. Memetic
natural selection comes into play and dominates the evolutionary replication
process with the arrival of language (especially written language). However
memes cannot remain successful replicators if they do not aid in the
survival of the host's genes. For this reason memetic fitness is mostly a
function of societies and not persons. A memetically fit cultural ethos is
an ethos that can efficiently organize a society so that it can successfully
compete against other societies for resources. With out a memetically fit
ethos (morality) a society/culture degenerates and sufferers form being
either absorbed by a more memetically fit culture or that society/culture
will suffer from memo/genocide. In the past more monolithic cultures would
label any behaviour that does not conform to that cultures ethos as
"immoral". And in many cases such persons would be put to death for their
crimes.
These facts might lead one to the conclusion that morality both arises from,
and acts upon, genetic evolution. Additionally one might conclude that
"morality" is in a state of evolution -constantly changing as certain memes
become more or less fit according to the pressures of natural selection.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson