Re: Anthropic Inference (Was study comparing 150 IQ+ persons to 180 IQ+ persons)

From: Michael Vassar (michaelvassar@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 08:11:01 MDT

Well, I was suggesting, not claiming, as I'm not confident with respect to
whether Friendly singularities preserve the reference class or not, nor with
respect to the validity of many worlds and anthropic inference.
Anyway, if we do take an anthropic inference path, we should expect integral
over population, not time, to singularity to be maximized, e.g. we should
not expect a nuclear war to reduce the population and delay singularity
simultaneously unless the population reduction effect was the greater of the
two. However, anthropic inference *should* give us theories with more
predictive validity than what we started with. Here are some examples.
We should expect the demographic transition to turn around and exponential
population growth to resume.
We should expect people who are trying to build GAIs to die or to be
thwarted by amazing coincidences
We should expect general societal decay to decelerate technological advance
We should expect to personally survive dangerous situations due to amazing
coincidences
We should expect GAI to never be developed, but if it is developed, we
should expect major social changes of a variety of sorts to start to occur a
couple decades ahead of time as anthropic pressures forcing society into a
GAI unfriendly shape are relaxed.
One particular change that I would see as nearly sure evidence of strong
anthropic selection would be the develop of fairly powerful genetic
engineering, the use of which is then successfully suppressed on a global
scale enabling the development of SENS and the addition to the human
germline of novel and more powerful DNA repair mechanisms but not any other
enhancements. If the technology was afterwords actually lost, or if
spaceflight was lost after successfully colonizing Mars or some other
non-terrestrial environment, I would likewise see myself in, essentially, an
anthropically generated sf novel, a splinter of the multi-verse of
negligible probability.

In fact, I don't anticipate any of the above occurances, but I see the value
in explicating the implications of radical hypotheses so that they can be
confirmed or disconfirmed.