Re: A study comparing 150 IQ+ persons to 180 IQ+ persons

From: Jeff Medina (analyticphilosophy@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 09:57:37 MDT

On 8/22/06, Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:
> Innate cognitive ability is best considered
> multidimensional, and the ability to rapidly solve logical problems
> does not adequately measure all these dimensions.

Agreed.

Ben: You keep mentioning rapidity. There are a good number of high IQ
tests that permit very long time intervals to testers, and even some
open-ended ones, y'know.

General (but especially the M&Ms): Whether someone will be surprised
by, afraid of, awed by (*insert other non-blasé reaction*) a
technology or concept, lumped under Shock Levels in some very op-ed
level writings, is really rather more multidimensional and complicated
than the SL taxonomy implies. I don't mind, generally, but a few
folks here sometimes make comments about shock level that indicate
they think it really means something... even something technical.
Since no one's made a serious argument *for* them, only used SLs like
they were 'real' somewhat axiomatically, there's no argument for me to
respond to, so I'll just leave off at some "Might want to watch that"
advice until and unless someone does. But really. Might want to
watch that.

--
Jeff Medina
Sr. Systems Engineer, Lockheed Martin