Re: A study comparing 150 IQ+ persons to 180 IQ+ persons

From: Michael Vassar (michaelvassar@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 20:33:28 MDT

I think that IQ tests do a fairly good job in identifying which decile of
the population a person fits into. The better tests are essentially never
going to put a person into any decile that is not appropriate, althought
they will not identify highly capable people with learning disabilities
(Neils Bohr, for instance) or with fairly narrow forms of genius
(surprisingly few of these. According to Howard Gardner, primary advocate
of "multiple intelligences" the population in the top decile of IQ basically
includes almost everyone with prominant talent in any of his
"intelligences". Mohommed Ali probably counts though, not just as a boxer
but as a source of pithy sayings, but he may have thrown his IQ test). Even
George W Bush tested in the top decile
http://isteve.blogspot.com/2005/06/my-article-on-john-f-kerrys-iq.html.
(the link also highlights limitations of IQ tests in distinguishing within
the top decile)

I think that IQ tests distinguish meaningfully, though not highly
accurately, up to about the 98th percentile. The Terman study placed both
Nobelists in the cohort in the 98th percentile.

Your sense that it is impossible to loose points primarily reflects your
failure to accurately model the abilities of ordinary people.

It is, however, a shame that we don't seem to have any better metrics for
predicting very important mental achievements.