Re: Maximize the renormalized human utility function!

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 12:31:55 MDT

Jef Allbright wrote:

> Your statement "some we might want a superintelligence to maximize..."
> obscures the problem of promoting human values with the presumption
> that "a superintelligence" is a necessary part of the solution. It
> would be clearer and more conducive to an accurate description of the
> problem to say "some values we may wish to maximize, others to
> satisfice."

Anissimov's phrasing is correct. The set of values we wish an external
superintelligence to satisfice or maximize is presumably a subset of the
values we wish to satisfice or maximize through our own efforts. What
you would-want your extrapolated volition to do *for* you, if you knew
more and thought faster, is not necessarily what you would-want to do
for yourself if you knew more and thought faster.