Re: professors and the Singularity (Glenn Reynolds/Instapundit)

From: Joshua Fox (joshua@joshuafox.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2006 - 08:17:12 MDT

Thanks, Neil. It's great to see that sort of exposure for Singularitarian
ideas.

Perhaps what SIAI and Singularitarianism need are a variety of persuasion
methods in addition to pure logic. Logic comes first. But to garner support
from cognitive-fallacy-ridden humans, other approaches may be more
successful.

One example is the Argument from Authority, implicit in trusting famous
names. Another is the Argument from Fiction, which Eliezer speaks against --
yet that is what captures the imagination. And there's the Argument from
Popularity -- if enough people believe something it must be true. Nonsense,
of course, but a powerful device when dealing with humans who must filter
out competing memes.

Space travel, another extremely promising, yet strangely stuck,
technological field, has recently received billions of dollars from quite a
few 30-ish high-tech zillionnaires. Most do this because of raw excitement,
rather than rational calculations or the desire for scientific advancement.

Unfortunately, the Singularity does not convey the visceral thrill of
flame-spewing rockets, though it should. Most people do not seek excitement
in spending eternity proving mathematical theorems -- nor even in curing
world poverty, disease, and death. Grabbing people's emotions is a challenge
in itself.

All this is secondary to the core work of making Friendly AI happen, which
is of course logic-based. But if support is necessary, these modes of
persuasion may be necessary too.

Joshua