Re: intelligence runaway (was explosion)

From: Damien Broderick (thespike@satx.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2006 - 14:05:54 MDT

At 11:18 AM 7/16/2006 -0400, Keith H. wrote:

>>[me:] "Runaway" or "excursion" or "escalation" surely don't help
>>the PR problem either.
>
>Intelligence runaway might be the term you are looking for. Dates
>back to horses, but captures the essence of something getting out of control.

But Eli isn't talking about "getting out of control", I think (except
as a side-consequence). I suggested to someone else offlist that my
own favorite synonym along those lines for Singularity would be, in
principle, "Intelligence Bloom", but nobody except biologists would
know what that means either. (Tip of the hat, along the way, to Wil
McCarthy's fine singularity novel BLOOM.)

Damien Broderick