Re: "The Artilect War" ... Does it get better?

From: Charles D Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 14:40:06 MDT

Joshua Fox wrote:
> After being convinced by most Singularitarian writings I have read, I
> was thoroughly unconvinced by the central thesis of The Artilect War
> -- that Cosmist and Terran humans are doomed to a world war. There is
> much of value in the book, however.
>
> > Drastically mis-represent my views as a
> > Singularitarion (whach de Garis calls "Cosmists").
>
> In any area of philosophy or ideology, there are always schools of
> thought which we shouldn't falsely conflate, even if they are
> similar. "Cosmist" does not equal "Singularitarian."
There are also demagogues, who will paint their labels onto others.
Don't be too quick to jump to the conclusion that because they're silly
they aren't dangerous. Many people have found that being silly didn't
keep something from being dangerous, and the only real groups most
people understand are "us" and "them". If you aren't "us", then you are
quite likely to be conflated with those evil "them" who do such horrible
things over the hill.