Re: KILLTHREADs

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2006 - 11:29:37 MDT

John K Clark wrote:

> The entire friendly AI concept is supported by two pillars:
>
> 1) The stupid ordering the brilliant is an inherently stable configuration
> that can persist indefinitely.
>
> 2) The stupid leading the brilliant will arrive at a glorious destination.
>
> I believe both these ideas are fundamentally and profoundly wrong, but it's
> your list not mine, I respect private property and I know you don't want
> these matters pursued so I'll say no more about them on this list.

Obviously the Killthread wasn't for that, but because of the apparent
sliding into ad hominem. Personally, my impression is that the ad
hominem was arising from Robin Lee Powell particularly and I would have
written him offlist about it, rather than sniping the whole thread,
which seemed to be proceeding normally up to that point...

...however, I want to emphasize that List Sniping, unlike a Friendly AI,
does not have to be 100% perfect to work. It is acceptable to throw out
some baby with the bathwater. A good baby will be born again in some
other bathtub.