Re: Let's resolve it with a thought experiment

From: James MacAulay (jmacaulay@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 21:04:38 MDT

On 6-Jun-06, at 12:08 PM | Jun 6, John K Clark wrote:

> > AI would have to write a "rage program" first before it could
> experience
>> rage.
>
> And I'm listening to a Beethoven symphony on my radio so the device
> must
> have a Beethoven circuit inside it.

No, it's getting the signal from outside. If there weren't a radio
station transmitting Beethoven, then the radio wouldn't be playing it.

If an AI doesn't write itself a rage behaviour, and no one programs a
rage behaviour into it, and it's not programmed to behave ragefully
just because it picks up radio waves that tells it to do so, etc,
etc...then where's the rage going to come from? The Beethoven on the
radio example is analogous to the AI getting hacked, as far as I can
tell.

But recent posts on this list have expressed this point more
eloquently than I can.

James