Re: Singularity awareness (no news here)

From: Joel Pitt (joel.pitt@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 18:59:24 MDT

On 6/3/06, Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:
> > Im curious, what qualifies you guys to make such a statement ?
> > Dont get me wrong, if its just the product of your own
> > "uneducated"-homegrown thinktank, thats quite fine, but one could also get
> > the impression that you're workign with/educated in the field of CS/AI
> > and/or an aspect of the human psyche.
> > Just curious :o)

> That statement was not made by me, but I almost agree with it, except
> for the "we have had that hardware for about a decade" part.
>
> However, even though I have a math PhD and plenty of AI and CS
> experience in industry and academia, and some cognitive science
> experience in academia as well -- I must admit that my optimism about
> the hardware requirements for AI is largely based on intuition.... We
> don't really know.

I also believe that we have the hardware today. Even if we have to use
harddrives as memory storage, it'll still work, it may just be
incredibly slow. I guess the main assumption I'm making here is that
memory will not need to be more than several petabytes.

Whether an AI running on todays hardware will actually be useful and
be able to hold high level conversations in real-time is another
story...

--
-Joel
"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."