Re: META: Shock levels (Re: SL3/4)

From: Olie Lamb (neomorphy@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 21:27:55 MDT

As I've said before, the way that the SL X terms are generally used
'round here are very different from the definitions they have been
given. According to this definition:

> http://www.sl4.org/shocklevels.html :
>
> "A Shock Level measures the high-tech concepts you can contemplate
> without being impressed, frightened, blindly enthusiastic - without
> exhibiting future shock."

I exhibited future shock when encountering a well designed corkscrew a
short while ago (I was impressed); at a new chemical process that may
decrease the cost of cracking shale oil (it will still be very energy
inefficient and horrendously polluting - hence I'm frightened by the
effects of this new tech); and at a corrugated plane (I am blindly
enthusiastic about the Matt Francis and Heiner Linke's ideas of using
heat energy to power the flow of fluid in a cooling system using
ratchets)

Does this mean that I'm now SL0?

I've never actually had anyone be shocked by my explainations of
seed-AI / uploading/ negligible senescence. Most are sceptical, some
are very negative, but almost no-one has responded with a reaction
that I'd call "shock".

Tell them what I did on the weekend, however... ;P

-- Olie